This is a gorgeous savory pie that’s filled with chicken, feta and parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, onions and garlic, and the best part is it’s nestled between a crunchy crust of phyllo dough.
I said it before and I’ll say it again, don’t be afraid to use phyllo, it’s so easy to use and so forgiving, even if you tear a piece no worries, no one would even know, trust me on that!
You’ll need some precooked chicken which you can either roast yourself or to save time you can even buy a rotisserie chicken. Good quality Greek feta and parmesan cheese is a must for exceptional flavor.
Serve this with a nice green salad and you’re good to go!
Don’t forget you can follow me on Instagram to see what else I’m cooking up during the week!
- 1 lb and ½ of precooked chicken meat, preferably white meat chopped or shredded
- 2 cups of chicken stock, boxed, low sodium, warmed
- 8 ounces of feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup of grated parmesan
- ⅓ cup all purposed flour
- ¼ cup each of parsley and basil
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 or 4 green onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 8 sheets of phyllo pastry
- olive oil
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add onions and garlic, stir until onions soften.
- Add flour and stir together for 1 minute then gradually pour in the warmed stock cooking over medium heat until it thickens. Remove from heat and let it cool down for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil a 10 inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl place all the chicken, the cooled down sauce, eggs, all the cheese and herbs. Mix together until well combined.
- Brush 1 sheet of phyllo with oil, line the pan then top with remaining sheets which have all been brushed with olive oil as well.
- Pour in the chicken filling then roll the edges of the pastry and tuck down the side of the pan.
- Bake pie for about i hour and 15 minutes. Let it rest for at least 15 minutes befor releasing the pan and serving.